Speaker Broken, please help!

Hi,

I have a broken speaker which I was going to send in for repairs… Then I realised it would be better if I could learn how to repair it. Would anyone who isn’t as stupid as I am be willing to teach me how to repair my monitor?

Hi, A bit more information would be helpful, you talk of a speaker then a monitor?

What is the make and model of the equipment, what is the problem you are having?

I mean monitor in the sense of a speaker. Like studio or stage monitor :slight_smile:

If you’re interested in helping me fix it I can come in and show you.

Hi there

I do quite a lot of audio stuff and I might be able to help out.

If you could describe the issues you’re having, I’ll see if I can give you some pointers.

Thank you so much.

The bass cone keep dropping out for extended periods. I opened her up and had a look but I couldn’t see anything loose, and nothing looked blown so I suspect it needs a new bass driver. However, that’s the analysis of someone with about an hours youtube experience. It would be great if someone could confirm or deny.

If you connect your amplifier directly to the bass driver does it still cut out?

Usually the failure is with the crossover that splits the signal between the tweeter and main driver - unless it’s been abused somehow it’s the only component that can degrade significantly with age.

It’s an active studio monitor, so no external amp to test I’m afraid.

The only weird abnormality on a video I saw was that the board seems to be covered in black gunk. If you skip to 18:25 you should see.

It was a second hand speaker when I got it so I don’t know what the last owner treated it like.

I should point out that I don’t have any of the issues on this video to do with the humming.